Coláiste Dún Iascaigh Parents Association 2021/ 2022
Chairperson Maria O’Brien
Secretary Grainne Kiely
contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer Robert Hoffler
National Parents Association of Ireland Link:
Links to Parent Talks and Other Information from 2018/2020
Parents Association in the Coláiste:
The parents association in the Coláiste works with the principal, staff and board of management to build effective co-operation and partnership between home and school. The role of the parent’s association is set down in the Education Act 1998 as follows:
- A parents association shall promote the interests of the students in a school in co-operation with the board, principal, teachers and students.
- The Education Act also sets out two broad tasks for a parents association which are:
- To advise the Principal or the Board on matters relating to the school·
- To adopt a programme of activities which will promote the involvement of parents in the operation of the school, in consultation with the principal. While all parents of pupils of a school are members of the parents association, the majority do not need to be involved in the day-to-day activities of the association.
- The parents association elect a committee who manage the responsibilities of the parent association on behalf of all the parents.
The following are some of the activities in which Parents Associations have been involved with:
- Arranging talks on topics of interest to parents, e.g. guest speaker on parenting/discipline etc
- Preparing school handbooks/calendars
- Providing support/organisational input to major school events, e.g. School Show, School Cycle etc.
- Contributing to the end of year mass in the Coláiste
- Participating in the Annual Academic Awards and Sports Awards
- Channelling parents views on school policy issues to the Principal/Board
- Organising Fund Raising Events for the school